Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Greenhouse

OK, so I kind of love my greenhouse.

The first time I toured the Glendeven property, there were many things that I liked about it -- the grounds, the rooms, the views, the state parks surrounding, the proximity to the Mendocino village -- but one thing clinched the deal. The greenhouse.

I'm not ashamed to say this either.

The greenhouse is a little building built by Glendeven's founding inn-owner, Jan DeVries, under the watertower, next to the pump room. At the time I first saw it, it had a full watering system already in place, but only had empty pots stacked neatly on the shelves. It was a little paradise just waiting to happen.

Last year I planted a number of things in the low planter and also stocked the pots with fun plants.

But this past winter, I went kind of crazy with the hanging begonia bulbs and then had to find patience. Well, now they're doing very well. They're thriving. And it all makes me pretty happy.

The greenhouse is a little jewel right in the middle of the property. It's a little hidden, which makes it feel even more special. Make sure you take a minute to find it when you're here.

-- John

No comments: